Free school meals eligibility criteria
In accordance with the Social Security Act 1986, a pupil or parents must be in receipt of one or more of the following support payments to be eligible for free school meals:
- Income Support (IS)
- Jobseekers Allowance Income based (JSAIB)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (IRESA)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual household income, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs that does not exceed £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit, household annual net earned income must not exceed £7,400 as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
Parents who receive Job Seekers Allowance or Employment and Support allowance, which is contribution based, Working tax credit or other benefits are not eligible for free school meals.
Parents will receive a letter confirming their child's entitlement and the school will be notified directly by Ealing council.
Eligibility will be reviewed annually and notification will be sent to parents automatically.
Change of circumstances
Parents should notify the council of any changes of circumstances:
- Start work and come off benefits or change benefits
- Change of address
- Your child changes school.
Parents may appeal against the decision not to provide free school meals. The appeal must be made in writing with supporting evidence if appropriate.