If you are a landlord who lets or will let your property through a council run scheme you may qualify for a grant. Grants are given to improve dwellings, houses in multiple occupation or to convert larger houses into flats.
Grant and conditions
The Empty Property Grant is for renovating empty properties and can cover 100% of costs up to £15,000 for the first unit, and incrementally less for each additional unit.
Grant can cover the following types of work:
- disrepair or structural issues
- damp and mould growth
- electrical rewiring
- thermal upgrading such as windows, boiler work and insulation
- improvements to kitchens or bathrooms
- major health and safety hazards.
Grants are awarded on a discretionary basis and are subject to availability.
The following conditions apply to works covered by a grant:
- you must own the freehold or leasehold, or have power of attorney to act on behalf of the owner
- works cannot start before the grant is approved
- works must complete within 12 months of grant approval
- works must be carried out by registered builders
- the property must conform to all planning and building control regulations
- on completion, you must inform the empty property team who will carry out an inspection to confirm that works have been completed to standard
- on completion, the property must be let through the council.
A housing association will manage the property or you may manage the property yourself by becoming an accredited landlord. Details are available from the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme or by telephone on 020 7974 1970.
How to apply
Contact the empty property team for more information, including how to apply.
Tel: 020 8825 6622