The Handyperson Service arranges minor jobs in the home for older, disabled or otherwise vulnerable people. Our Home Improvement Agency (HIA) administers the Handyperson Service and will assist with all aspects of the grant process.
To qualify for the Handyperson service the client must be either:
- Aged 60 or over (and not in paid employment)
- A carer
- A single parent in receipt of an income-related benefit living with child(ren) under 16.
Please note that property assessments may be carried out at this time by the Handyperson contractor in conjunction with the Fall safe, Fire safe projects and Healthy Homes Ealing.
Typical works which can be carried out include:
- Replacing lightbulbs
- Setting thermostats/timers
- Fixing and supplying internal / external grab rails and hand rails (where adequate fixing can be established)
- Fitting smoke/carbon monoxide alarms, (but not supplying them)
- Unblocking or sealing around sink/basin/bath/shower tray
- Unblocking toilets, replacing toilet seats
- Refixing/regrouting small numbers of loose wall tiles
- Fixing down hazardous carpets, rugs, trailing electrical leads etc.
- Advising on energy efficiency and condensation/dampness
- Changing basic door locks, fitting door chains to timber doors.
Note: A brochure is available on request showing a more comprehensive list of qualifying work for the handyperson service.
The following conditions/limitations apply:
- Each visit is limited to 90 minutes of work on site.
- Maximum of three (six if the carer is also living at the home) visits in any 12 month period.
- Clients must sign and agree to a brief survey to identify other work/hazards.
- All materials to be supplied or paid for by the client.
- Clients must have the power or duty to carry out the works.
RAS/HIA work in partnership to deliver the following Handyperson Services
- Fire Safety Improvements
- Small Repairs (Through the Handy person Plus Repairs - HPPR)
- Energy Efficiency Measures
- Hospital Discharges
- Trips and Falls Prevention Works
- Home Safety Checks
- Boiler and Heating Repair / Replacement
- To be introduced September 2019
- Provide safe and secure home security improvements
For more information contact the Repairs and Adaptations Service.