Council tax appeals

Appeal council tax decision or bill

Make an appeal if you think our decision about a discount or exemption is wrong. You can also appeal if you think you should not be the person responsible for paying the bill. 

Before you start

Please give detailed reasons for the dispute and give us any information we have asked for.

Please also include details of when we last contacted you. 

You will need

  • Council tax account number
  • Property address
  • Your contact address
  • Name and authority if acting as an agent.

Uploading supporting documents

We may ask you to upload some documents.  

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files can't be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We have two months to reconsider our decision and we may ask for more information. Please check My Account for updates.

If you think our decision is wrong or you do not hear from us within two months of sending your appeal, you can appeal to the valuation tribunal. The valuation tribunal is an independent body and is not connected with the council or the Valuation Office Agency.

You must continue to pay council tax while your appeal is being considered. If the tribunal agree with you, we will update your bill and get a refund of any overpaid council tax.

Start form