Request a council tax refund

If your council tax account is in credit you may be able to get a refund.

If your account is in credit and you are moving within the borough, we will transfer the balance to your new account. If you have moved out of the borough a refund can be made.

If you have received a credit on your account due to an exemption, discount, relief or council tax support; we may use the credit to reduce the balance on your account rather than issue a refund. You will then receive a revised bill with the instalments adjusted.

Reasons for overpayment:

  • Received a credit due to an exemption, discount, relief or council tax support
  • You leave the property
  • A banding alteration
  • Paid too much council tax.

Please contact us if you think the credit is incorrect or you are not entitled to receive a refund.

Before you start

Fill this form if you:

  • Are the person responsible for paying council tax
  • Have power of attorney for someone else
  • Are a named executor.

You will need

  • Any documents that help your claim
  • If have a power of attorney for the person who has overpaid, please upload a copy of the power of attorney document.

Uploading supporting documents

We may ask you to upload some documents.  

  • Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
  • Zip files cannot be uploaded
  • We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
  • There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB

What happens next

We aim to process your refund within 10 working days, but it may sometimes take up to 21 working days. Please check My Account for updates.

If we cannot give you a refund, we will tell you why.

Start form