Insurance for council tenants

The council is only responsible for insuring the structure of your home and does not insure contents. You are responsible for any loss or damage to your belongings, such as furniture or decorations, through theft, fire, flooding, vandalism or accident. We strongly recommend that you take out your own home contents insurance.

We have teamed up with Aviva to provide home contents insurance for council tenants. Under the scheme you will not need to pay an excess to make a claim. The scheme is administered by Wessex Group, who work with the insurer Aviva to provide insurance cover for our tenants where required. 

What the insurance covers

The contents in your home, including garages and gardens, will be insured against events such as fire, theft of flooding.

The cover also includes things like:

  • replacing door locks if your keys are lost or stolen
  • accidental damage to audio, video or computer equipment in your home
  • tenants liability

The insurance does not cover wear and tear (like worn carpets) or an appliance breaking down.

You can take out optional cover for:

  • accidental damage
  • theft, loss or damage of:
    - personal belongings away from the home (includes things like mobile phones and jewellery)
    - wheelchairs, mobility scooters and hearing aids

How much cover do I need

Your home contents are covered on a 'new for old' basis. This mean they will be replaced with brand new items of the same value. The only exception is linen and clothing, which will be replaced at their current cost, minus an amount for wear and tear. 

When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you need to work out how much it would cost to replace the full contents of your home. If you under value your contents, you may not get the full value of your claim.

How much does it cost

You do not need to pay an excess under this scheme.

How much you pay (called the 'premium') depends on the amount you want insured. Have a look at the table of costs in the application pack.

You can pay the premium monthly or annually. 

The lowest amount that can be insured is £4,000

How to pay

You can pay either: 

  • monthly by direct debit or payment card at any Post Office
  • annually by cheque, postal order or debit/credit card

You must keep up with your payments to make sure you are covered.

Wessex Group can cancel the policy if you miss your premium payments. You may not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.

How to apply

Download and complete an application form and post to:

Wessex Group
Jewry House, Jewry Street
SO23 8RZ

Call Wessex administration on 01962 892 086. Please read the application form first

Apply online

After you have applied

Wessex Group will write to you with details of your insurance payments and the date when you should start paying. Your insurance starts the date you are accepted onto the scheme.

If for any reason your application is rejected, Wessex Group will write to you to let you know.

Terms and conditions apply, contact above.
Acceptance restrictions may apply for convictions and claims experience.
Tenants Contents Insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited and arranged by Aon UK Ltd who are both authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Aviva Insurance Limited, Registered in Scotland Number 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. FP.ENT.727.SEC