Gas safety


If you are a homeowner, the responsibility for gas safety rests with you. You are strongly advised to have all gas appliances, flues and pipework installed, regularly maintained and serviced at least once every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you are of pensionable age, have a disability, long-term health problems or are blind or visually impaired, you may qualify for financial assistance with the cost of maintaining gas appliances. For more information you should contact your energy supplier.

More information and advice about gas safety is available from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) on 0800 300363. 


If you are letting your property you must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

By law you must:

  • ensure pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained and in a safe condition
  • ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each appliance and/or flue that you provide for tenants' use
  • ensure maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • keep a record of each safety check for two years
  • issue a copy of the safety check to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and to any new tenant before they move in
  • ensure all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting
  • make sure that if you are using a managing agent, the contract clearly specifies who is responsible for maintenance and safety checks and for keeping records. The landlord maintains overall responsibility for ensuring duties are met, even if a managing agent is employed
  • ensure that anyone carrying out work on gas appliances/fittings and/or flues provided for tenants is a Gas Safe registered engineer

More information about gas safety is available from the HSE on 0800 300363.