Most people with a learning disability are able to do lots of things on their own, choosing how they live and accessing the right level of support for them.
You should think about how you want to live your life, including:
- What do you want to be able to do on your own?
- What would you like to do that you do not do now?
- What do you need help to be able to do?
- Who can help you do this?
You can get support to be independent and do things on your own from:
- Your family
- Your friends
- The people you live with
- Carers who come to your home
- A personal assistant
- Teachers, tutors, colleagues and managers
- As well as many other people and organisations
You do not need to have a social worker to access the support you need to be independent.
You, and the people who support you, can help you to be independent in the following ways: