Landlord services privacy notice

Landlord services of the London borough of Ealing (LBE) needs to process personal data about you to provide services to you as your landlord or freeholder or if you are applying for or seeking to use any of our services.

These services include:

  • providing, managing, developing and selling housing products
  • providing property management and property maintenance services
  • identifying a need for and then providing support services through our own teams or partner agencies
  • delivering the councils strategic objectives to know and understand its residents to inform and shape local services
  • any other service provided by LBE as a local authority * 

* Other LBE services may have their own privacy statement covering their specific nature and activity.

What information will you collect?

We will hold, access and process personal data which includes but is not limited to yours and your household members’ defined characteristics, personal financial circumstances, evidence of identification, health, medical and welfare social conditions, evidence of and from other organisations that work with you or is provided to in the course of looking after you, your home and your tenancy.

Specifically, this information may include some or all of the following:

  • name including any previous known names
  • date of Birth
  • gender
  • nationality
  • ethnicity
  • religion
  • language
  • sexuality
  • health, disability and support needs
  • financial and income details
  • family details, lifestyle and social circumstances
  • employment and education details
  • housing needs
  • criminal convictions (spent and unspent)

For the particular purpose(s) of this privacy statement, personal data is provided by you or by another person on your behalf or a third party from whom the council is lawfully able to share your personal data or you have given them your separate consent.

We will also collect contact details such as your telephone number and email address for you and your nominated representatives.  As we use these to contact you electronically or by SMS it is important that you keep us informed if any of your details change.

Most of the information we hold will come from you with your consent.  Some information may be provided by one or more of the following:

  • other council departments
  • your GP or other health care professional
  • elected Members (local Councillors or MP)
  • previous landlords and property agents
  • solicitors or legal representatives
  • financial or mortgage advisers
  • other relevant community agencies working with you

Where you are providing information about household members, we assume that you have obtained their full knowledge and consent.

What do you do with information about me?

The giving of information may be a pre-requisite to you receiving the service you are requesting; i.e. if you do not consent to giving us the information we ask for, we may not be able to provide the service to you.

Information you give us will be used to:

  • check and verify your application for housing and entitlement to be rehoused
  • manage your tenancy or leasehold relationship with us
  • identify and offer services to help support you in your home
  • to deliver management, maintenance and other landlord-related services in conjunction with our service partners and statutory and voluntary agencies
  • to prevent and detect crime
  • to consult you about the services you receive and to offer opportunities to get involved in how the council runs its services
  • to review existing services and how they are performing and to plan and implement new services and initiatives

Relevant information you give to us will be shared with partner agencies, third parties, contractors and sub-contractors in order for services to be provided to you. Relationships with these third parties will be covered by a Data Sharing Agreement that controls how they must use and hold the data shared with them.

Who will you share my information with?

We may need to share personal information we hold about you with other organisations that we work with who provide services on our behalf.  When we do this, we ensure all other organisations have proper processes for handling and protecting your data.

We are permitted to sharing your information with organisations such as:

  • agencies committed to protecting public funds and/or preventing fraud: for example National Fraud Initiative
  • police and other relevant authorities (for example Department of Work & Pensions, Probation Service, HM Revenue & Customs)
  • other statutory organisations: for example. social services, health authorities, Homes England, Greater London Authority where required to exercise their statutory functions

We may also share information when required by law, for example where ordered by a court or to protect an individual from immediate harm.

How long will you keep information about me?

Records are kept only for as long as necessary; this is either by law or good practices or in accordance with the council’s retention rules. 

For more information regarding records retention, please see the council's general privacy notice.

How do I know the information about me is kept safely?

All the information we collect is stored securely on our IT systems and manual or electronic filing systems. We have strict procedures for the way this is done. All information about you is treated as confidential and with respect. There are also clear rules and guidance about storing, recording, and sharing information which staff receive training on.

What rights do I have in relation to my information?

  • The right to be informed - through our privacy notices, we will be open and transparent about how and why we use your personal information
  • The right of access - you have the right to ask us what personal information we hold about you and to request a copy of the information; this is known as a ‘Subject Access Request’
  • The right to rectification - you can ask us to rectify your personal data if it is inaccurate or incomplete.Please help us to keep our records by informing us if they change
  • The right to erasure - also known as the right to be forgotten - in some circumstances, you can ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no legitimate reason for its continued processing.This right is not automatic, as we will consider each request and balance this against our need to continue processing the data.This may be connected to our retention schedules on how long we keep information after our relationship or the reason for processing has ended.
  • The right to data portability - if it is helpful for you to move, copy or transfer personal data we hold about you, across different services, you may be able to ask us to do this
  • The right to object - you can tell us if you object to the processing of your personal data:
    • if it is to be used for historical research purposes and profiling; this reason is not an automatic right and we will consider each request
    • for the purposes of direct marketing
    • where a decision which has a legal or significant effect on you is made solely by way of automated means - you have the right to ask us to stop doing this, or show that we have measures to protect you, including how the decision has been made and that the system is operating correctly

Are there any laws applicable in the processing and protection of my information?

LBE is committed to holding and processing your personal information safely and lawfully. 

The primary legislation covering the collection and processing of your personal information for this purpose includes:

  • UK General Data Protection Regulations
  • The Data Protection Act 2018
  • The Human Rights Act 1998

Who should I contact if I want further information or to complain about the use of my personal information?

The council’s data protection officer is Mrs L Cox, who you can contact by emailing or telephone 0208 825 5124 during office hours.   

For independent advice about data protection, privacy, e-privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner using the following details:

Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Chesire SK9 5AF

Telephone: 0303 123 1113