Performance licenses privacy notice

The council’s data protection officer information 

Service area: Pupil support, child performance licensing team


If a child of school age or below is involved in performance activities, they must have an individual child performance licence or be covered by a Body of Person Approval or fulfil the criteria for exemption and they must be chaperoned at all times.

Performance activities include:

  • Theatre or television, such as acting in films and commercials
  • Paid or professional sport
  • Modelling.

For children living in Ealing, the person responsible for the production needs to apply to us for a performance licence.

By law, the time limit for licensing authorities is 21 days before the first performance or activity. However, in order to support children in accessing opportunities for performance, we aim to issue a licence on a 10-day arrangement, as long as all documents are filled in correctly.

There are a number of different legislations that apply to entertainment performances. They include:

  • Children and Young Persons Act 1933
  • Children and Young Persons Act 1963
  • The Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014.

The purpose of the license is to ensure that all children are adequately safeguarded and supported.

Legal base

Process child performance license applications according to ‘The Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014’

What kind of information do you collect about me?

Personal information of child and parents, name address and contact details, school attended, child medical/health, education information, and child performance details.  All details relevant to ensuring child’s health, education and wellbeing while taking part in performance.

Your personal information is collected, for the purpose of delivering the service to you, from: 

  • Application form
  • Additional information you provide
  • Correspondence you send us
  • Information you or your representative/agent provides
  • Information collected by our staff on the phone or in face-to-face interviews
  • Information provided by child’s chaperone
  • External referrals to the council
  • Information provided by child’s school and/or other education provider
  • Information provided by other Local Authorities
  • Information provided by Child Performance License Applicants, their employees, agents, or anyone else connected with the application or performance
  • Information if required collected from child’s GP, hospital consultant or other medical personnel.

From these, we would collect and process personal and special categories information such as:

  • Name, date of birth, address, gender
  • Health e.g. disabilities and special educational needs
  • Any details that are collected in connection with application or performance
  • Employment and education details
  • Nature of performance(s) involving child’s participation
  • Frequency of child taking part in performance.

What do you do with information about me?

The licensing officer will consider a number of standards that the license holder must meet before a license can be issued.

We use the information about you to assess and where necessary impose conditions on license to ensure child is fit to take part in performance, proper provision is made for child’s health and kind treatment and to also ensure child’s education will not suffer.

We usually need to share some of your information with:

  • Copy of license will be sent to all relevant people/organisations on and connected with Child Performance Application and Child Performance License
  • Child’s chaperone
  • Child’s agent (will receive copy of license
  • Child’s school/education provider (will receive copy of license)
  • Local Authority where performance takes place (will receive copy of license)
  • Local Authority where child is staying in connection with performance (will receive copy of license)
  • Local Authority where child lives (Ealing will license the child)
  • Other education providers, e.g. schools, colleges, private tutors
  • Ealing Safeguarding boards if required
  • Ealing School Attendance Team if required
  • If required Health service providers including NHS Agencies (e.g. GP, hospitals, ambulance, other medical personnel)
  • Regulatory bodies, e.g. Ofsted, Ofcom (if required).

We use your information to:

  • Safeguard children
  • Deliver your service
  • Planning and improvement to your service
  • Prevent or detect or fraud or crime
  • Conduct research using anonymised information.

How do I know the information about me is kept safely?

All the information we collect is stored securely on our IT systems and manual filing systems. We have strict procedures for the way this is done. All information about you is treated as confidential and with respect. There are also clear rules and guidance about storing, recording and sharing information which staff receive training on.

We take information sharing very seriously. Appropriate council and health staff are Disclosure and Barring Service checked. Any member of staff who is found to be breaking the rules will be dealt with through appropriate disciplinary procedures.

For how long are records held?

Records are kept only for as long as necessary; this is either by law or good practices.

We keep records till the child is 18 years old.

For more information regarding records retention, please see the corporate privacy notice.

Don't you need my permission to keep and share information about me?

We would need your consent if the legal basis for collecting and processing your personal information is Consent.

Although your information is confidential, we may have to share information about you/your family without your permission.  Where this is necessary, we are required to comply with all aspects of the data protection legislation. 

We may need to share your information in the following circumstances:

  • To protect you from harm, neglect, abuse or significant threat
  • When you may need urgent medical treatment
  • To prevent or detect a crime
  • To comply with a legal obligation.

Are there any laws applicable in the processing and protection of my information?

There are a number of laws which allow for the protection, collection and processing of your personal information for this purpose, such as:

  • The General Data Protection Regulations and The Data Protection Act 2018
  • Children and Young Persons Act 1933
  • Children and Young Persons Act 1963
  • Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014 
  • Children’s Act 2004

Can I see the information you have collected about me/my family?

Yes, you can request a copy of the information held. This is called a subject access request under the Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulations which contain certain rights of individuals and their personal data.

For more information regarding your rights, please see the corporate privacy notice.

Who should I contact if I want further information or to complain about the use of my personal information?

Please see this website for more information on how we use your information.

The council’s data protection officer is Mrs L Cox, whom you can contact on: or telephone 0208 825 5124 during office hours.