The cabinet has ten members, including Councillor Peter Mason, the leader of the council, and Councillor Deirdre Costigan, deputy leader. Each member has a specific area of responsibility (also known as a portfolio) and is accountable for the council's everyday decision-making process.
The role and responsibility of a cabinet member include:
- initiating policy
- making decisions and implementing council policies within their portfolio
- acting as spokesperson for the council on services and functions within their portfolio
- being a member of cabinet and sharing the collective responsibility for decisions taken by the cabinet
- developing partnership working with other organisations in the borough.
Cabinet members and a brief overview of their portfolio areas:
- Leader - Cllr Peter Mason - Leading the team delivering real change for Ealing, setting our political vision and engaging everyone to build an open, transparent and inclusive council.
- Deputy leader and climate action - Cllr Deirdre Costigan - Greening and keeping Ealing clean, achieving net zero carbon, and ensuring our parks, open spaces and nature are protected and enhanced.
- Decent living Incomes - Cllr Bassam Mahfouz - Bringing new and well-paid jobs back to Ealing and securing a strong economic recovery where good businesses can thrive.
- Inclusive economy - Cllr Steve Donnelly - Building wealth within the community by ensuring everything the council does increases social value and contributes to making Ealing a fairer place to live and work.
- Genuinely affordable homes - Cllr Lauren Wall - Delivering our radical programme of social rent council house building, and ensuring our tenants are empowered and have ownership of their communities.
- Good growth - Cllr Shital Manro - Making sure the growth that takes place in Ealing enhances its character, conserves its future and makes great places people want to live.
- Thriving communities - Cllr Jasbir Anand - Bringing people together to build strong neighbourhoods, empowering volunteers, encouraging community activism, engaging civic and faith leaders, and delivering well-loved community facilities and services.
- A fairer start - Cllr Kamaljit Kaur Nagpal - Ensuring all our children and young people of all backgrounds get the best start in life, from their earliest years through to a great education.
- Tackling inequality - Cllr Aysha Raza - Relentlessly focusing on reducing poverty and inequality for those that most need support and promoting wellbeing and safety for all.
- Healthy lives - Cllr Josh Blacker - Combating COVID-19, protecting and enhancing the physical and mental health of all, supporting our older residents to enable them to remain independent and resilient.