Give notice of a marriage or civil partnership

If you are planning to get married or form a civil partnership you must give at least 28 days notice at a register office. You can only give notice at a register office if you have lived in the registration area for at least seven days. The procedure may be different for some religious ceremonies.

You may also need to give notice if you are planning to marry or form your civil partnership abroad. Ask the relevant embassy for advice, including any documentation you will need.

There are exceptional circumstances that may change the way you give a notice of intention. For example if either person is terminally ill, housebound or detained.

In most cases you will need to marry or form the civil partnership within one year.

You will need to book an appointment to give notice:

Telephone: (020) 8825 9851 (Monday to Friday 9am-4pm)

Documents you will need

You and your partner will need to give the following information when giving notice:

  • full name
  • date of birth (you must be at least 16 years old (you may require written consent if you are under 18)
  • usual address
  • nationality
  • immigration status, if applicable
  • current marital status
  • occupation
  • intended venue for your marriage or civil partnership

You will be asked to provide proof of nationality, address and marital status, including:

  • valid current passport
  • for proof of address a bank statement issued within the last month, or current council tax bill, or UK driving licence, or two utility bills from two separate suppliers issued within the last three months
  • for non-EEA nationals valid evidence of immigration status is required
  • a passport quality photograph for both parties if either of you is not a UK, EEA or Swiss national and you do not have settled status
  • if previously married, Decree Absolute or death certificate of the former spouse (must include English translation)

Fees and cancellations

There is a charge of £35 per person, or £47 per person if you are a non-European Economic Area (EEA) passport holder and do not have evidence of settled status in the UK, or a valid marriage or civil partnership visa. This fee is non-refundable. There is also a non-refundable admin fee of £5 per person.

You must pay a deposit when you book. The deposit will be used towards payment for the service. If you cancel or change your appointment you may be charged an additional fee. If you do not bring all of the required documents this will be considered a cancellation.

Foreign nationals

There are different rules if you or your partner are a foreign national from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland. For more information go to GOV.UK.