If a death occurs abroad, the death must be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a death certificate should be obtained. To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need the death certificate or an authorisation, issued by the appropriate office in the country of death, for the removal of the body from that country.

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales:

You will need

  • an authenticated translation of the death certificate showing the cause of death


  • a Certificate of No Liability To Register from a registrar in England or Wales. This certificate must be obtained from the registrar of the area you intend to bury or cremate the deceased.

To arrange a cremation in England or Wales
A cremation order from the Home Office or a Form E from the coroner will be required. If the death was from natural causes the Home Office will require the following documentation:

  • application for cremation (Form A)
  • all original documentation from the country where the death occurred
  • the translation of documents if necessary

If the death was unnatural it will be referred to the coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death. In this case the coroner will issue Form E for cremation.

For the repatriation of a deceased body to an overseas country from England or Wales, seek advice from the Home Office for individual country requirements.