Private rented property licensing privacy notice

The Local Authority (LA) collects and processes personal information about you as we have a legal obligation within our role of administering licenses under the Mandatory, Additional or Selective property licensing scheme.

1. What kind of information does Ealing Council have about me?

We collect and process your personal information per our legal basis via the licence application form and from information available through public sources such as HM Land Registry. This may include:

  • name, address, date of birth, telephone number, email address
  • details of the property to be licensed
  • details of other parties that have a relevant interest in the property to be licensed
  • occupancy details
  • financial/management details

2. What do you do with information about me?

The provisions of personal data is required so that we can determine licence applications and to administer the licensing schemes.

Section 232 of the Housing Act 2004 requires all local authorities to maintain a register of all property licences granted. It also states that the public register must be available at the local authority’s head office for inspection and on request, a copy of the register or of an extract from it, must be supplied. Regulations have also been prescribed which specify the information which must be included in the register.

If you are the licence holder or person managing the property, personal details such as your full name and address will be placed on a public register in accordance with the requirements of the Housing Act 2004 and the Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation and Other Houses (Miscellaneous Provisions) (England) Regulations 2006.

We may contact you from time to time if we feel there are developments in the law you need to be aware of, if we have information that may benefit you or if we would like consult with you about a new policy or procedure.

We will also contact you before the licence renewal date to ensure your property remains licensed.

We sometimes need to share information with the individuals we process information about and other organisations. Where this is necessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the data protection legislation. What follows is a description of the types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons. Where necessary or required we share information with: 

  • All persons with a relevant interest in a property to be licensed
  • family, associates or representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
  • healthcare, social and welfare organisations
  • financial organisations
  • local and central government
  • ombudsman and regulatory authorities
  • courts and tribunals
  • professional bodies
  • data processors
  • regulatory bodies
  • courts, prisons
  • customs and excise
  • local and central government
  • international law enforcement agencies and bodies
  • partner agencies, approved organisations and individuals working with the police
  • licensing authorities • law enforcement and prosecuting authorities
  • legal representatives, defence solicitors.

3. How do I know the information about me is kept safely?

All the information we collect is stored securely on our IT systems and manual filing systems. We have strict procedures for the way this is done. Any and all information about you is treated as confidential and with respect. There are also clear rules and guidance about storing, recording and sharing information which staff receive training on.

We take information sharing very seriously. Appropriate council and health staff are DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checked. Any member of staff who is found to be breaking the rules will be dealt with through appropriate disciplinary procedures.

4. Are the records confidential?

All Ealing Council employees have a duty of care in accordance with our Data Protection policy. This includes respecting that right to confidentiality.

5. For how long are records held?

There are different rules for different documents and/or information kept by the council. We are required by law to keep records for varying lengths of time depending on individual circumstances.

6. Don't you need my permission to keep and share information about me?

We would need your consent if the LA’s legal basis for collecting and processing your personal information is consent. Although your information is confidential, we may have to share information about you/your family without your permission. These reasons are:

  • To protect you from harm, neglect, abuse or significant threat
  • When you may need urgent medical treatment
  • To prevent or detect a crime 
  • To comply with a legal obligation PR/PrivacyNotice

You can withdraw your consent by contacting or by telephoning 020 8825 9512.

We will always do our best to tell you if we have to share information about you/your family under these circumstances, unless doing so puts you/your family in danger.

7. Are there any laws applicable in the processing and protection of my information?

There are a number of laws which allow for the protection, collection and processing of your personal information for this purpose, such as:

  • Housing Act 2004
  • The General Data Protection Regulations and The Data Protection Bill 2018
  • Children’s Act 2004
  • Childcare Act 2006 as amended Section 9 of the Apprenticeships, Sills, Children and Learning Act 2009.
  • The Common Law Duty of Confidence
  • The Human Rights Act 1998
  • NHS Guidelines - Caldicott Principles, which govern the sharing of patient identifiable information

8. Can I see the information you have collected about me/my family?

Yes, you can request a copy of the information held. This is called a subject access request under the Data Protection Bill 2018 and General Data Protection Regulations which contain certain rights of individuals and their personal data. For more information regarding your rights, please see the LA’s corporate Privacy Notice

9. Who should I contact if I want further information or to complain about the use of my personal information?

Please see the LA’s website for more information on how we use your information.

The council’s data protection officer is Mrs L Cox, whom you can contact on: or telephone 0208 825 5124 during office hours.