This form has 9 pages
A temporary structure licence is required to place a temporary structure on or over a public highway. A temporary structure is:
- Building materials, a portaloo or container
- A crane or cherry picker on the public highway
- A crane on a private site that will oversail the public highway
To apply for a temporary structure licence online, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Complete the online application form at least 10 working days before you plan to erect the structure
- Pay a refundable deposit, based on the area of the highway affected
- Pay a non-refundable fee to cover administration and site inspections
- Upload a copy of your public liability insurance policy (minimum cover of five million)
- Upload a plan, diagram or drawing showing the exact location of the temporary structure
We aim to process completed applications within 10 working days, assuming you have completed the online application, provided payment, a clear drawing and a copy of your insurance policy. If your licence is approved will we send you a copy via email.
Road and footway closures
Cranes, scaffolds and hoarding may also require a temporary road or footway closure. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
However, please note that we generally do not allow hoarding to enclose the entire footway, and will usually require a minimum width of 1.2m to be kept available for pedestrians at all times.
If you need to suspend parking, apply for a parking suspension (Opens in new window)