Online forms: Apply for a temporary structure licence

This form has 9 pages

A temporary structure licence is required to place a temporary structure on or over a public highway. A temporary structure is:

  • Scaffolding
  • Hoarding
  • Building materials, a portaloo or  container
  • A crane or cherry picker on the public highway
  • A crane on a private site that will oversail the public highway

To apply for a temporary structure licence online, you will need to complete the following steps:

  • Complete the online application form at least 10 working days before you plan to erect the structure
  • Pay a refundable deposit, based on the area of the highway affected
  • Pay a non-refundable fee to cover administration and site inspections  
  • Upload a copy of your public liability insurance policy (minimum cover of five million)
  • Upload a plan, diagram or drawing showing the exact location of the temporary structure 

Processing time

We aim to process completed applications within 10 working days, assuming you have completed the online application, provided payment, a clear drawing and a copy of your insurance policy.  If your licence is approved will we send you a copy via email.

If you do not receive a direct acknowledgement within 5 working days then please contact

Road and footway closures

Cranes, scaffolds and hoarding may also require a temporary road or footway closure.  For further information please contact

However, please note that we generally do not allow hoarding to enclose the entire footway, and will usually require a minimum width of 1.2m to be kept available for pedestrians at all times.

Parking suspensions

If you need to suspend parking, apply for a parking suspension (Opens in new window)