Landlords urged to check if licence is needed

Following the end of the previous schemes in December 2021 and after a public consultation with Ealing residents and landlords across the borough and surrounding areas, Ealing Council’s cabinet approved a new additional Housing of Multiple Occupation (HMO) and selective licensing scheme at the end of 2021. 

The additional HMO licensing scheme applies borough-wide and covers all HMOs that are occupied by three or more persons in more than one household who share amenities like kitchens and bathrooms. Certain converted blocks of flats are also included in the scheme. The selective licensing scheme applies to all other privately let properties in the East Acton, Southall Broadway or Southall Green areas.   

To assist landlords, the council will launch a new online application system that will enable landlords and agents to make multiple licence applications for the new schemes. Landlords will be urged to submit applications at the very start of the schemes to take advantage of a 25% discount on the licence fee in addition to further reductions for accredited landlords.  

The council is committed to ensuring that private renters have access to safe, secure and decent homes, and this has never been more important with the number of people living in private rented properties across the borough nearly doubling in the last 10 years. The renewal of the property licensing schemes is part of the council’s long term aims to continue to raise standards within this growing housing sector and work with landlords to improve the quality of private rented accommodation available.

Councillor Shital Manro, Ealing Council’s cabinet member for good growth said, “The council increasingly rely on the private rented sector to house many residents across the borough, many of whom are vulnerable and on low incomes, and everyone has the right to come home to a safe and secure environment regardless of tenure.

“Our property licensing schemes help the council ensure that we continue to work well with our valued landlords by providing advice and support on standards that must be met, whilst taking a strong approach to tackling poor property conditions and raising standards in this valuable housing sector”    

Find out more on the PRS licensing pages of the council's website.

Additional information

The new additional HMO licensing fee from 1 April 2022 will be £1100 per HMO plus an additional £50 for each habitable room. A part one payment of 30% of the overall cost will be payable on application to cover the costs of processing the application form and the remaining 70% once the application has been approved.

The new selective licencing fee from 1 April 2022 will be £750. An initial part one payment of £225 will be taken at application and the remainder, £525, once the application has been approved.

Those applying between 1 April and 1 July 2022 may receive a 25% discount on the licence fee.