Self-isolation payment

The Test and Trace support payment has been introduced to help people on low incomes self-isolate when they test positive or are identified as a contact, and to encourage more people to get tested. This will help to reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) and avoid further restrictions, including local lockdowns.

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

You can only make an application if you were told to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020.

You can make a claim up to 14 days after your period of self-isolation ended. Your claim will not be accepted if you make an application at a later date.

What are self-isolation payments?

If you need to self-isolate and you meet the benefits-related eligibility criteria you will be entitled to £500. This will be paid as a one-off payment into your bank account. We aim to make the payment within four working days from the date you make your application.

These payments are subject to income tax, but not subject to national insurance contributions.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for the Test and Trace Support payment, you must:

  • Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • Be employed or self-employed
  • Be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • Be receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

If you are not in receipt of any of the above benefits, you can still apply for a discretionary self-isolation payment as long as you meet the other eligibility criteria.

This application is for one person only and any further applications within the same household must be made by each person.

Applications will only be accepted if you live in Ealing borough. If you are not an Ealing resident please apply through your local council.

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

You can help someone else fill out an application or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else. Payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

What do I need to do?

If you receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace.

Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those:

  • Testing positive and
  • Those who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive and has now been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

NHS Test and Trace website


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to receive these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The government is supporting local councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

Data sharing

The information you submit here will be processed by Ealing Council. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the self-isolation payment scheme.

You can find more information on this via the NHS Test and Trace privacy notice

We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification reasons, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax reasons and with your employer. We will not share your data with other organisations or individuals outside of the council for any other reason.

We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because self-isolation payments are subject to tax. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

We may use some automated decision-making to determine if you are eligible to access funds. This means that a decision may be made by automated means, without any human involvement.

Your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 allows you to object to any automated-decision making used in this process. If you do, there may be a significant delay in the processing of your application.

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the council’s data protection policy

If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent, you can do so under GDPR in writing via email to the council’s data protection officer at

If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.

In submitting an application, you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a self-isolation payment.

Apply for a self-isolation grant