Help with your money

Financial assistance and benefits

Household Support Fund

The Government has provided Ealing Council with additional funding under its Household Support Fund to support households who would otherwise struggle to buy food or pay for essential utility bills or meet other essential living costs. 

Self-isolation payment

The self-isolation payment has been introduced to help people on low incomes self-isolate when they test positive or are identified as a contact, and to encourage more people to get tested.

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, and you meet the criteria, you may be entitled financial support.

Read more and apply for a self-isolation grant

Local welfare assistance

You can apply for Local welfare assistance if you are struggling to buy food. You can get food vouchers and money for essential household items.

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary housing payments may be available to top-up housing-related benefits for a limited time to cover housing costs such as rent..

Exceptional Hardship support

The Exceptional Hardship fund provides a range of support for individuals experiencing great difficulty due to COVID-19. To apply for this funding visit the local welfare assistance page to apply online or contact tel: 020 8825 6237. 

Support for self-employed

The government has launched the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme which allows people who are self-employed to claim a taxable grant. This scheme is being extended to include two additional grants.

HMRC has launched an online tool you can use to find out if you’re eligible to make a claim through the SEISS. The following are required to access the tool: 

  • Self-Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number
  • National Insurance number.

Help and advice on benefits

If you need advice on benefit entitlements you can telephone our benefits advice line.

Ealing Advice Service is a local service working to provide people in Ealing with access to high-quality advice. The service brings together key advice agencies in Ealing to help with basic information to advice, to full legal representation from a specialist solicitor or caseworker.

Information on claiming benefits is also available from the Department for Work and Pensions. A new website has been created to provide clear, factual information on employment and benefits support with advice on housing, furlough, sick pay and self-employment, alongside advice and FAQs for employers, those already claiming and those making a new claim.

Useful contact numbers

  • Apply for Universal Credit or call 0800 328 5644  
  • Citizens Advice can provide support on how to make a new Universal Credit claim. Call 0800 1448 444 
  • To claim pension credit 
  • Job Seekers Allowance /Employment Support Allowance /Income Support Benefits - 0800 169 0310 
  • Social Fund: 0800 169 0140 
  • Bereavement Benefits: 0800 731 0139 
  • Tax Credits: 0345 300 3900