Help for business

Industry specific guidance and support

Guidance for convenience stores

If you are owner of a convenience store The Association of Convenience Stores has some useful guidance for corner shops. 

VAT for hospitality and tourism sectors

The winter economy plan measures include extending the temporary 15% VAT cut for the hospitality and tourism sectors to the end of March next year. 

Outlets operating temporarily as a take-away

During the lockdown the government published planning legislation, called a new 'Permitted Development Right' to enable pubs, restaurants and cafes to an provide takeaway food (A5 use class). The legislation allows these types of premises to provide prepared hot or cold food, for collection or delivery, for consumption off the premises - without the need for planning permission. In order to benefit from this right and operate as a takeaway you must first inform us that you plan to do this.

Please email  and  with the subject line 'Notification of temporary operation as hot food takeaway'

Your email must include:

  • The address of the site to be operated as a takeaway
  • Confirmation of the previous use of the premises
  • Details of the proposed operation, including which parts of the building/land will be used and the proposed hours of operation.
  • The date you propose to start and end the take-away operation (the government has permitted such use up until 23 March 2021)

It is important to note that this new legislation allows businesses to operate in this way until the 23 March 2021 – before which such use must cease. Please do read the legislation observing its conditions and limitations. If you would like to operate beyond this date, a planning application must be submitted well in advance of the expiry date, proposing the continued use of the premises as a takeaway.

Unfortunately, if you are not currently operating as a lawful pub, restaurant or café, you cannot take advantage of this – and will need to apply for planning permission as per normal. In addition to this, there may be conditions attached to previous planning permissions, which will either restrict or prohibit your ability to benefit from these rights.

Please also note, if you plan to serve food later in the night or start providing alcohol it is likely you will need to be licensed, please contact for more information.

Support and guidance for the Arts and Culture sector

The Mayor’s Culture at Risk team is working closely with organisations across London’s night-time economy and culture and creative industries. A list of sector-specific information, advice and support schemes is available on their website

Funding for the sport and physical activity sector

Sport England are making up to £195 million of funding available to help the sport and physical activity sector through the ongoing coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis.

The package includes funding for: clubs and community organisations, existing partners facing specific financial difficulty, new and innovative ways to keep people active and recovery support and a rollover of current funding to  well established partners who play a vital role in the delivery of sport and physical activity in England. Full details can be found on the Sport England website