Help for business

Coronavirus legislation, enforcement and advice

Coronavirus legislation, enforcement and advice 

This page gives information on the coronavirus legislation that applies to businesses, workplaces, premises and other venues. For information about the coronavirus legislation that applies to individuals, please visit government's coronavirus webpages.

Following publication of the COVID-19 recovery roadmap, the government has issued guidance on reopening businesses and venues which sets out how restrictions will be lifted.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021 are in force from 29 March 2021 and provide the detailed legal framework for the lifting of restrictions.

Hospitality business webinar

The government’s plan to gradually ease lockdown restrictions means that indoor hospitality can reopen on 17 May. To help hospitality businesses in Ealing prepare for re-opening indoors the council’s regulatory services hosted a second free webinar on 11 May 2021. If you missed it, you can watch the webinar's recording on our YouTube channel.

COVID-19 enforcement of gatherings, travel restrictions and self-isolation

The police enforce the rules in relation to individuals, private dwellings, public spaces, gatherings of people or breaches of self-isolation rules. You can report these breaches to the police online or by calling 101.

COVID-19 enforcement of business closures and COVID-19 secure requirements

If you have concerns that businesses or other venues are open when they should be closed or are not following the legislated measures, you can report this to the council via email to our dedicated mailbox

Arrangements to support Test and Trace

Certain venues in certain sectors must have a system in place to request and record contact details of their customers, visitors and staff to help break the chains of transmission of coronavirus and support NHS Test and Trace.

Further information on what these venues must do to maintain records of staff, customers and visitors is available from the government as well as the requirement to display an official NHS QR code.

Advice and COVID-19 secure requirements

All workplaces and businesses must ensure strict infection prevention measures are followed to protect staff and customers. To assist businesses the government has issued guidelines to working safely during COVID-19.

All employers at businesses that are permitted to carry on operating, whether they are open to the public or not, must put in place adequate control measures to protect their employees and non-employees. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issued up to date guidance to employers on how they can fulfil their duties to their employees and non-employees. The HSE has also launched a new Working Safely enquiry service for all employers and members of the public to get help and advice about protecting workers against coronavirus in their workplaces. You may contact HSE and get further information on their website.

Covid outbreak and case controls

If you feel as if COVID-19 cases are still rising in your organisation or you may need to close due to the number of people affected, you should contact London Coronavirus Response Cell (LCRC), Public Health England to report the suspected outbreak at email: or tel: 0300 303 0450. The LCRC will:

  • carry out a risk assessment
  • provide public health advice
  • where necessary, establish a multi-agency incident management team to manage the outbreak

COVID-19 business advice service

If you run a business in Ealing, the council offers a free bespoke business advisory service funded by the Reopening High Street Safely fund*. This can provide you with advice on how your business may achieve COVID-19 secure status via face to face advice from regulatory services.

To request this service, please email your contact and business information alongside with the details of the advice you require to Before accessing this service, you should familiarise yourself with the latest guidance. Ealing Council has also produced condensed guidance documents for different business sectors in line with the latest government advice.

Food safety and COVID-19

The government has produced COVID-19 Security guidance for food businesses and there is general guidance including safe shopping, providing food takeaway and deliveries, signage resources from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.

If you have significantly changed the way you offer food or beverages or your general food activities, you must notify the council.

If you have just started to offer food or drink but have not notified the council, you must register your food establishment with the council. Registration or notifications of changes are free and the council provide further information and how to register a food establishment.

COVID-19 enforcement - COVID-19 secure requirements

If you have concerns that businesses or other venues are not following the legislated measures you can report this to the council via email to our dedicated mailbox

Licensing for alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment

If you have significantly changed the way you offer licensable activities such as regulated entertainment, late night refreshment or activities involving alcohol you must ensure you comply with what is permitted in your premises licence and have particular regard to your permitted hours and any licence conditions.

If you are considering changing your licensable activities or would like to apply for a licence, please read information on licensing and how to make applications.

Street trading and "pavement licences"

Street trading

Some businesses need a street trading licence to operate. Visit our street trading webpage to check whether your business needs a licence, different types of licences and how to apply.

Pavement licences

Under the Business and Planning Act 2020, a new pavement licensing scheme has been created to assist businesses to reopen whilst still enabling social distancing.

A business which uses (or proposes to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption on the premises, with furniture such as tables and chairs on the pavement outside, can apply for a pavement licence. Eligible businesses include public houses, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops, and ice cream parlours.

Further information

Further guidance on the government's measures and response, as well as public and business support information, is available on

*The Reopening High Street Safely fund project is receiving up to £ £300,759 of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and the Greater London Authority is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit government's website.