Free cargo bike hire
Ealing residents can now borrow two cargo bikes for free, a two-wheeler bakfiets and a cargo trike, subject to valid insurance.
Cargo bikes, also known as freight bicycles, carrier cycles and box bikes, are pedal powered vehicles designed and constructed specifically for transporting loads. They are great alternatives to the car, can be used to carry up to four small children and are perfect for a fun day out.
You can use the cargo bike for:
- The school run
- Shopping - say goodbye to car park headaches
- Fun days out - make the journey to the park part of the adventure
- Community events - haul equipment to a local event
- Allotment deliveries - shift that compost to your plot with ease
Tempted to give it a go? If you’re an Ealing resident you can hire a cargo bike free of charge, as long as you have valid third party cycle insurance.
Anyone with London Cycling Campaign (LCC) membership will already have third party liability insurance included in their membership.
Ealing residents who are hiring the cargo bike are being offered LCC membership for half price, bringing the annual membership cost down to £25. Once you have the membership, or other third party cycle insurance, you can use the bike multiple times in the year without further cost.
Other benefits of LCC membership include:
- Free cargo bike hire all year round for Ealing residents
- Third-party insurance
- Free legal helpline
- Savings of up to 15% at 120 London bike shops
- Special offers on holidays, books, bike maintenance, and more
- Strengthening the voice of London’s cyclists.
Cargo bike bookings
To book one of the free cargo bikes, once you have LCC membership or other insurance, to book one of the free cargo bikes, simply follow these three simple steps. The bikes are available for periods of up to a maximum of two weeks at a time.They need to be collected from and dropped back to Ealing Council’s Perceval House offices, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL.
1. Email email@example.com supplying us with the following information:
- Which bike you'd like to hire
- How long the hire is for
- The date of hire
- The time of pick up
- You're preferred contact detail
- One proof of address
- One proof of identity
- Evidence of your insurance
2. We'll then get in touch
A member of the team will check the availability of the bike and get in touch to confirm your booking and provide you with collection details.
3. Sign cargo bike agreement
To confirm you're booking, you will need to sign the cargo bike loan agreement and send this to firstname.lastname@example.org.