Applying for planning permission

Whether you need to apply for planning permission will depend on the scale and location of the proposed works or development, and the planning policies related to the application site. The Planning Portal provides extensive general advice on the need for planning permission.

Changes to Planning Portal application forms in Ealing - November 2020

For an application to be valid and processed by the council, you will have to submit a range of information known as 'planning application requirements', with your form. By providing this information at the time of submission it should help reduce delays in processing applications. You are also required to submit the relevant fee for the application. The cost of applications varies, check which fee applies to your proposal 

Local 'planning application requirements' supplement the national requirements set out in the guidance.  Different requirements are listed for all the application types included in the national standard planning application forms.

For the first time, if you need to apply for two consent types, eg planning permission and listed building consent, combined forms are available which include the questions for both application types. If you use one of these combined forms, even though you only have to complete one form, it will be treated as two applications and you will be advised of two application numbers, one for each type of consent.

Please make sure you have checked our validation checklist before submitting your application.  If you do not send all the information we need your application will be deemed invalid.

You may wish to use an agent and/or architect that is registered with one of the following organisations (please note: it is not compulsory to use an agent/architect to submit your planning application):

  • RTPI (Royal Town Planning Institute)
  • ARB (Architects Registration Board)
  • RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors)

The council aims to make a decision within eight weeks (on 80% of applications). You are able to start work on your development once you have received your approval notice from the council. Full permission is usually valid for three years.

If the council refuses permission or imposes conditions it will give reasons. If you are unhappy or unclear about the reasons for refusal or the conditions it imposed contact the officer who processed your application.

Listed buildings

If your property is a listed building you will require permission to carry out works including partial or full demolition, internal alterations and changes to boundary fences or walls. Find out if your property is statutory statutory listed or locally locally listed

Trees on your property

You may be protected under planning law by a tree preservation order, a planning condition or by your property being within a conservation area. The council's permission is required before any works like pruning, removal or disruption to the roots can be carried out.

New residential or commercial units

If your application results in the construction of a new residential or commercial unit you will need to submit a street naming and numbering application in order to officially register any new address/es. Find out more details of the naming and numbering process.

Empty property grants

You can get up to £15,000 to renovate an empty property that needs repairing before it can be made available to rent.  Find out more.