Fly-tipping is an illegal, unsightly and dangerous problem in the borough and clearing dumped rubbish is a cost to the tax payer. Every time someone leaves waste on the street, dumped in an alley way, at the end of a road or outside a house, it is fly-tipping. We want to stop this happening in your area but need your help to report any evidence you have of fly-tippers, so we can take fair but firm action.
To report a fly-tipper, you will need to include as much information as possible regarding the alleged offence including:
- Date, time and location of the alleged offence and if known, the name of any offenders
- Details of any vehicles involved including make, model and registration
- Origin and type of fly-tip including specific property or company details
- If you happen to see anything and can take any photographs (without putting yourself in difficulties) to send to the council. However, you should not in any circumstances keep any potential offender under surveillance
- Any other supporting information
If the evidence can be used by the council, you would need to provide a *witness statement. Without a witness statement, the council may not be able to take any enforcement action.
*You may have to attend court to give your evidence.
To report a fly tip you will need to provide the following information:
- Exact location
- Description of items
Fly-tipping on private land
Fly-tipping on private land (for example on the front/rear garden or land attached to a property) is the responsibility of the owner/occupier and must be removed by them. The council will only take formal action against the owner/occupier if the fly-tipped site does not comply with environmental standards or is a health hazard. This would be determined by a site visit. Owners may be served with a formal notice asking them to remove refuse within 21 days.
Removal times are affected by the type and amount of waste. We aim to remove items by the end of the next working day. The removal time may be longer if we need extra staff or equipment to remove the waste.
Bulky items collection
Residents can request the removal of bulky items. There is a charge for this service.