Access to health services
Information on health services and how to access them, including if you don’t speak English well.
NHS is providing health services in the UK. Visit the NHS website for information on:
- Health services near you, including hospitals, pharmacies, GPs, sexual health services, dentists and opticians
- Urgent and emergency care services
- Mental health services
- Help with paying for health costs.
How to register with a GP
Anyone can register with a GP surgery. You do not need proof of address or immigration status.
To register with a GP, you need to:
- Find a GP that suits your needs
- Fill in a form - download a GMS1 registration form on GOV.UK or take one from the GP surgery.
If you have problems registering with a GP surgery, call NHS England customer contact centre on 0300 311 22 33.
Sexual health services
The following organisations can help with accessing sexual health services:
- Sexual Health London by the NHS - free home HIV and STI testing kits
- North West London Sexual Health and Contraception Services for Ealing, Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon - call 020 8966 6445 for contraception and 020 8453 2221 for sexual health services
- Spectra - sexual health information and support including youth and trans services - 0800 587 8302 / 020 3322 6920.
Push Doctor is an online app, giving you access to online healthcare appointments with your GP surgery.
To start using it, please contact your GP surgery so they can send you an invitation or register on Push Doctor’s website by entering your GP surgery. The app also offers:
- Multi language registration forms
- Digital ambassadors to help you if you are struggling with online services and technology
- Support for people with visual difficulties.
Accessing health services if you’re not speaking English
If English is not your first language and you cannot speak well enough, you can bring a relative or friend with you to help with health services registration or appointments. NHS is also providing interpreting and translation services and can arrange a translator for appointments via your GP surgery.