Green Homes Grant - local authority scheme
Do you want to save on your energy bill and ensure that your home is warm in the winter and cool in the summer? The Green Homes Grant: Local authority delivery scheme (GHG:LAD), funded by the secretary of state for business, energy and industrial strategy, is here to help.
Seven London boroughs have joined together to carry out smart energy efficiency retrofits on up to 700 homes across the participating boroughs. Those living in the coldest and least efficient properties may be eligible for up to £10,000 of grant funding to cover the installation of efficiency measures, such as low carbon heating systems, insulation, and smart heating controls.
Am I eligible?
- If you have received a letter, we believe your home has an energy rating of E, F, or G. Visit the EPC Register to check your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating and efficiency recommendations.
- To participate in the first phase of the GHG:LAD scheme, you must have a total annual household income of £30,000 or less, inclusive of benefits
- You must live in one of the seven participating boroughs: Brent, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Hounslow, Lambeth, or Kensington and Chelsea. Other local area schemes may be available for residents of other boroughs. Check with your local council to learn more.
How can I take part?
- Registration: Visit Green Doctors and sign up
- Registering your interest only takes a few minutes and is completely obligation free
- Confirm eligibility: You will receive a screening call from our team to confirm your eligibility by asking you a few questions about your income, benefits status, and household
- Property assessment: A certified retrofit assessor will visit your property in late January/early February to create a whole house energy efficiency plan and personal recommendation to make your home more energy efficient
- Agree to works plan: You confirm which works are to be carried out and agree to a start date for installation to begin with the scheme manager.
Frequently asked questions
What measures are included under the scheme?
Any measure which improves the energy rating of the property may be included in your workplan, though we will primarily focus on wall, floor, loft, and roof insulation, low carbon heat systems (such as air source heat pumps), energy efficient doors and windows, heating controls and hot water tank insulation.
Are there measures not included?
Gas boiler repairs and replacement are not part of the scheme. Existing double-paned windows may not be replaced, however single-paned windows are eligible for replacement with double or triple paned glass or secondary glazing.
How will quality be guaranteed?
All installers and contractors for the GHG:LAD scheme are TrustMark and MCS registered.
Can landlords participate in the local authority delivery scheme?
Yes. Private landlords and housing associations may apply for a grant on behalf of tenants who meet the eligibility criteria. Landlords are eligible for up £5,000 to cover two thirds of energy efficiency work. This means you can get up to £7,500 worth of measures installed for a maximum contribution of £2,500.
Can landlords include multiple properties?
Yes. If you have multiple properties within the participating boroughs, you may put as many eligible properties forward for works as you would like, provided you are able to contribute the one third matching funds.
Are landlords limited to £7,500 worth of works?
The maximum grant award for Landlords is £5,000 per property, however, you may agree to additional works with the scheme manager at your own expense.
I do not meet the income or EPC-rating criteria, can I still participate in the Green Homes Grant?
If you are not eligible for Phase 1 of the Local Authority Delivery Scheme (which ends 30 June 2021), you may be eligible for Phase 2 (which runs through 31 December 2021) if you live in an EPC D-rated home or are on housing benefit. You may call 0800 083 2265 to be pre-screened for Phase 2 or to see if you qualify for other energy efficiency schemes, such as ECO
- Visit Green Doctors to apply
- Call the GHG:LAD Helpline 0800 083 2265 to speak with our screening team (Monday to Friday, 9am-5.30pm)
Please read our delivery partners' COVID safe plan.