Green Homes Grant - local authority scheme
Do you want to save on your energy bill and ensure that your home is warm in the winter and cool in the summer? The Green Homes Grant: Local authority delivery scheme (GHG:LAD), funded by the secretary of state for business, energy and industrial strategy, is here to help.
Seven London boroughs have joined together to carry out smart energy efficiency retrofits on up to 700 homes across the participating boroughs. Those living in the coldest and least efficient properties may be eligible for up to £10,000 of grant funding to cover the installation of efficiency measures, such as low carbon heating systems, insulation, and smart heating controls.
Am I eligible?
- If you are living in an home with an energy rating of D, E, F, or G, you may be eligible for the scheme. You can visit the EPC Register site to check your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating and efficiency recommendations. You may also register online or call 0800 083 2265 and ask to be screened for the GHG:LAD program and we will check for you.
- To participate in the GHG:LAD scheme, you must have a total annual household income of £30,000 or less.
- You must live in one of the twelve participating boroughs: Barnet, Brent, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Newham, Richmond, or Wandsworth. Other local area schemes may be available for residents of other boroughs. Check with your local council or the GLA’s Warmer Homes scheme to learn more.
How can I take part?
- Registration: Visit Green Doctors and sign up.
- Registering your interest only takes a few minutes and is completely obligation free.
- Confirm eligibility: You will receive a screening call from our team to confirm your eligibility by asking you a few questions about your income, benefits status, and household.
- Property assessment: A certified retrofit assessor will visit your property to create a whole house energy efficiency plan and personal recommendation to make your home more energy efficient.
Frequently asked questions
What measures are included under the scheme?
Any measure which improves the energy rating of the property may be included in your workplan, though we will primarily focus on wall, floor, loft, and roof insulation, low carbon heat systems (such as air source heat pumps), energy efficient doors and windows, heating controls and hot water tank insulation.
Are there measures not included?
Gas boiler repairs and replacement are not part of the scheme, however other schemes may be able to help. During your home survey all alternatives will be discussed with you and you will be advised if other schemes, such as ECO are able to assist. Existing double-paned windows may not be replaced, however single-paned windows are eligible for replacement with double or triple paned glass or secondary glazing.
How will quality be guaranteed?
All installers and contractors for the GHG:LAD scheme are TrustMark and MCS registered.
Can landlords participate in the local authority delivery scheme?
Yes. Private landlords and housing associations may apply for a grant on behalf of tenants who meet the eligibility criteria. Landlords are eligible for up £5,000 to cover two thirds of energy efficiency work. This means you can get up to £7,500 worth of measures installed for a maximum contribution of £2,500.
Can landlords include multiple properties?
Yes. If you have multiple properties within the participating boroughs, you may put as many eligible properties forward for works as you would like, provided you are able to contribute the one third matching funds.
Are landlords limited to £7,500 worth of works?
The maximum grant award for landlords is £5,000 per property, however, you may agree to additional works with the scheme manager at your own expense.
I do not meet the income or EPC-rating criteria, can I still participate in the Green Homes Grant?
If you are not eligible for the current phase of GHG LAD (which runs through 31 December 2021) you may be eligible for future schemes and can be waitlisted. You may call 0800 083 2265 to see if you qualify for other energy efficiency schemes, such as ECO. The Home Upgrade Grant and Phase 3 of the GHG:LAD will run through March 2023 and may have expanded eligibility. Further details of the HUG and GHG:LAD3 schemes will be announced later this summer.
- Visit Green Doctors to apply
- Call the GHG:LAD Helpline 0800 083 2265 to speak with our screening team (Monday to Friday, 9am-5.30pm)
Please read our delivery partners' COVID safe plan.