Energy bills rebate

You can get a one-off payment of £150 as part of a government package to help with rising energy bills. You do not need to pay this back. 

To qualify

To get the energy bills rebate, you must:

  • Be named as responsible for the council tax and not be a company or organisation
  • Live in a home in one of the council tax bands A to D, or if in band E and you have been awarded disabled band reduction
  • Not be living in a house in multiple occupation (HMO).

This will be for your household circumstances on 1 April 2022.

Check your council tax band 

If you have a council tax property exemption

You will still get the £150 rebate if your home is occupied and exempt from council tax because it is:

  • Lived in only by students or school or college leavers and is not a house of multiple occupation (HMO) (class N)
  • Lived in only by people under 18 (class S)
  • Lived in only by someone who is severely mentally impaired (class U)
  • An occupied annexe (class W).

You will see any exemption codes that apply to your council tax account on your 2022/23 council tax demand notice.

If you get council tax support

You will get the £150 rebate if you are:

  • Getting council tax support and
  • Living in a property in council tax bands A to D, or in band E if you have a disabled band reduction.

Payment of £150 if you pay by direct debit

The automatic payments for people who pay by direct debit have been made to bank accounts. If you have not received your £150 then you will need to make a claim. 

Claiming the £150 energy bills rebate

The application process closed on 7 August 2022. Outstanding completed claims will be processed by 30 September 2022.

If you qualify but have not claimed the rebate, the £150 will be credited to your council tax account by 30 September 2022.

Extra payment

The government also offer an extra payment through the discretionary payment scheme. To qualify, you will need to be in a band A to H household and receive council tax support (CTS). Only those who qualified for CTS on 1 September 2022 will be included.  

The money will be paid into your council tax account. You can be paid this money from your council tax account by asking for a refund.

You do not need to claim this extra payment. You will be paid automatically by 30 November 2022.


If you have an overdraft when the money is paid into your account, you can use your first right of appropriation. This means your bank will not use the money to pay off your overdraft and it will be available for you to use. There is a letter template  you can use. 

Bogus callers - Fraud awareness

Do not provide your bank details to anyone calling you claiming to be from the council’s council tax office and asking for your bank details. We will not be calling you to ask for these details.

More information

If you have any questions, please phone: 020 8825 7170.