You can get a one-off payment of £150 as part of a government package to help with rising energy bills. You do not need to pay this back.
If you have not received the £150 into your bank account, you will need to apply online.
To get the energy bills rebate, you must:
- Be named as responsible for the council tax and not be a company or organisation
- Live in a home in one of the council tax bands A to D, or if in band E and you have been awarded disabled band reduction
- Not be living in a house in multiple occupation (HMO).
This will be for your household circumstances on 1 April 2022.
If you have a council tax property exemption
You will still get the £150 rebate if your home is occupied and exempt from council tax because it is:
- Lived in only by students or school or college leavers and is not a house of multiple occupation (HMO) (class N)
- Lived in only by people under 18 (class S)
- Lived in only by someone who is severely mentally impaired (class U)
- An occupied annexe (class W).
You will see any exemption codes that apply to your council tax account on your 2022/23 council tax demand notice.
If you get council tax support
You will get the £150 rebate if you are:
- Getting council tax support and
- Living in a property in council tax bands A to D, or in band E if you have a disabled band reduction.
Payment of £150 if you pay by direct debit
The automatic payments for people who pay by direct debit have been made to bank accounts. If you have not received your £150 then you will need to make a claim.
Claiming the £150 energy bills rebate
If you think you qualify for the rebate and have not received the £150, you can apply online.
For the money to be paid into your council tax account, you will need:
- Your council tax account number (shown on your council tax bill).
For the money to be paid into your bank account, you will need:
- Your council tax account number (shown on your council tax bill)
- A copy of your most recent bank statement,dated within the last 30 days. This must be a current account and show the address you are claiming for.
When you register, you will then have the option to apply for an energy bills rebate.
You can watch a video on how to apply for the energy bill rebate, sometimes called council tax rebate.
You will be able to search for your address and from that search you will be provided with your property reference number to make a claim.
The government also offer an extra payment through the discretionary payment scheme. We will know more about the scheme by June 2022.
If you have an overdraft when the money is paid into your account, you can use your first right of appropriation. This means your bank will not use the money to pay off your overdraft and it will be available for you to use. There is a letter template you can use.
Bogus callers - Fraud awareness
Do not provide your bank details to anyone calling you claiming to be from the council’s council tax office and asking for your bank details. We will not be calling you to ask for these details.
- Council tax rebate: factsheet - GOV.UK
- Government support for energy bills and the cost of living - factsheets - GOV.UK
If you have any questions, please phone: 020 8825 7170.