Advice on insuring your home contents

The council is only responsible for insuring the structure of your home. You are responsible for any loss or damage to your belongings through theft, fire, flooding or accident. Please also make sure that you tell the insurance company if you have any scaffolding on your house or block, otherwise your insurance may be void.

Ealing Council does not insure tenants' contents such as furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.  Tenants may obtain household insurance through a special scheme arranged by the council.

If you are not properly insured, contact a reputable insurance company for details of their schemes.

We strongly recommend that you take out your own home contents insurance.

Ealing Council offers a scheme for council tenants that is negotiated at special rates arranged by Aon, through Aviva, providing affordable home contents insurance on a 'new for old basis'. The rates are very competitive and can be paid by standing order, Direct Debit, cheque or postal order at Perceval House. The lowest amount that can be insured is £6,000 if you are over the age of 60 and £9,000 for all other people.

How to apply: For further details or a leaflet explaining a scheme contact the insurance section on 020 8825 8378 or email