The Budget announcement on 11 March 2020 confirmed a range measures to provide support for business during 2020/21 with the addition of a series of temporary rate reliefs and support for businesses in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Subsequent announcements have been made to support businesses during periods of lockdowns and restrictions.
This included: Businesses in the retail, leisure and hospitality sectors (including pubs) who can receive 100% rate relief for 2020/21 irrespective of rateable value - subject to qualifying criteria. This will continue until the end of June 2021.
- All qualifying retail, leisure and hospitality properties including public houses, estate agents, betting shops and bingo halls will receive 100% business rates relief.
- Registered nurseries will receive a 100% rate relief for 2020/21 irrespective of rateable value.
1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022
A discount of two-thirds will then continue for the remainder of the year 2021/22, up to a value of £2,000,000 for closed businesses, with a lower cap (£105,000) for those who have been able to stay open. Nurseries will also qualify for the relief in the same way as other eligible properties.
Enhanced Retail Relief
All qualifying retail, leisure and hospitality properties including public houses, estate agents, betting shops and bingo halls received 100% business rates relief up to 30 June 2021. This relief is not considered state aid. From 1 July 2021 this discount reduces to 66%, awarded to the end of the financial year 31 March 2022.
All registered nurseries received 100% rate relief which means that they will not pay business rates in the 2020/2021 financial year. This discount reduces to 66% from 1 July 2021, awarded to the end of the financial year 31 March 2022.
COVID-19 Emergency Fund
Ealing Council has created a £1.5m Emergency Fund to assist vulnerable residents and aid essential community services across the borough. This fund provides support for organisations, providers and individuals where financial support is needed as a result of the unprecedented challenges created by Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Emergency funding has been made available for providers of childcare including nursery schools. Funding for this grant will be applied automatically. If it is not shown on your bill, but you believe you should be eligible, please contact the business rates team at email@example.com or telephone 020 8825 7020.
The council also commits to:
- Continuing to pay existing essential service providers regardless of their ability to deliver the full range of services expected in normal operating circumstances
- Offering preferential payment terms to pay existing providers and suppliers on zero day terms, or in exceptional cases, up to 12 weeks in advance
- Offering support to businesses to pay their bills in a flexible way with payment deferral options
- Businesses who wish to discuss payment options can contact the business rates team at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 8825 7020.
Be wary of fraudsters
We have been made aware of a number of scams that are circulating for example people offering to help businesses access grant funding for a fee or contacting businesses claiming to be from official sources stating that they have received funding in error and need to make repayments. Businesses should be wary of scammers and suspicious emails and only provide organisations that you trust and have given consent to, your personal or financial details. Always remember to take a moment to think. Could it be fake? Go to www.gov.uk for more information.
Sign up to receive the latest updates via our business e-newsletter.