Planning permission is not always required for particular building works or uses of land/buildings. You can apply for a development certificate if you need formal confirmation that a development is lawful.
A lawful development certificate is a legal document which states one of the following:
- that something you intend to adapt or build does not need planning permission
- that an existing building does not need planning permission
- that a change of use for an existing building or land does not need planning permission
- that a building or other works have existed for so long that planning permission is no longer required.
- that a use of a building or land has existed for so long that planning permission is no longer necessary.
You can apply to the council to check if the law will allow a certificate to be issued.There are two types of lawful development certificate (LDC):
- a proposed use or development
- for an existing use, operation or activity in breach of a planning