Council tenants

Like many other London boroughs, Ealing has a severe shortage of homes. This means that only a small number of people are likely to be assisted by the council. The following schemes are provided as alternative rehousing options for existing council tenants:

Affordable homes in Ealing

There are a number of different affordable ways to buy or rent a new home of your own. One of the options could be just right for you.

Homes are available on a part-buy, part-rent basis with options to increase the share of the property you own. Homes for rent are also available at approximately 20% lower rent than comparable private sector rented properties in the area.

Housing Options is a service that can help you find a home that’s suitable for your budget, household size and location preference.

There are many attractive developments in the borough that include affordable homes and a range of different sized flats and houses.

To find out more about the options and receive regular information about homes in areas that you want to live please visit

Out of London Scheme

Moving out of London can be a great way to make a fresh start in other parts of the country.

The Out of London Scheme encourages applicants to move to areas outside of London where there is lower demand for social housing. Costs for travelling to the area and viewing the property will be paid for. Financial assistance for moving will also be provided up to an agreed level. People joining the scheme are likely to be allocated accommodation relatively quicker than in London.

Before joining this scheme it is important that you are sure you want to move out of London. If you decide you want to come back to Ealing later on, it is unlikely the council will be able to help you.

Who can apply?
You can apply for the scheme if you are:

  • a homeseeker living in temporary accommodation
  • an Ealing Council tenant 

What areas are available?
The register for application is open to places outside London, particularly areas to the north of the country. For more details contact the Out of London officer, tel: (020) 8825 7381.

What are the benefits of the scheme?

  • financial assistance with viewing properties
  • local information provided so you can make an informed decision
  • financial assistance with removal expenses
  • possibility of reduced waiting time in obtaining permanent self-contained accommodation
  • relocation grant of up to £1000 for eligible applicants
  • over 60s greater choice and faster rehousing
  • Council tenants downsizing will receive an assistance payment of £1000 for each bedroom given up

For more details contact the Out of London officer, tel: (020) 8825 7381.

Note: financial assistance will be provided if you meet the criteria and are accepted by the scheme.

Who cannot move under this scheme?
You are unlikely to be accepted:

  • if you have been evicted for nuisance or any other issue relating to your tenancy (including temporary/permanent/private housing)
  • have a history of rent arrears

Who do I contact for more information?
Complete and return the information request form (word) or contact the out of London officer on (020) 8825 7381 or the allocations team on (020) 8825 7274.

Mutual Exchange (HOMESWAP)

This is a self-help scheme to assist council tenants in finding another council or housing association tenant to swap homes. Contact your tenancy officer to register, or for more information visit:

Choice Based Mobility

This initiative is open to households living in Ealing, where each member of the household is aged 55 years or above. It helps households move out of London to properties across England. The properties available are usually in sheltered accommodation.

Seaside and country homes

The seaside and country homes scheme offers households living in council housing the opportunity to move home.  At least one member of the household should be aged 60 or above.  The scheme’s landlords manage bungalows and flats along the southwest coast from Cornwall through the countryside from Shropshire to Cambridgeshire over to Norfolk and Lincolnshire in the east.

Please contact the allocations team on (020) 8825 7274 for details on how to register.


Homefinder UK

Homefinder UK is a housing mobility scheme that allows Ealing Council tenants and agreed homeless applicants in temporary accommodation to move from one part of the UK to another. This may be to access employment, to provide care or be closer to friends and family, or because households may have more or fewer bedrooms than are currently needed.

Every week Homefinder UK makes available a variety of properties at more affordable rents all across the UK.

To find out more or register your interest, please go to or contact the allocations team on (020) 8825 7274/7381.

Transfer Incentive Scheme

  • Have your children moved out leaving your current home too big for you?
  • Are your heating bills rising?
  • Would you like to be nearer to your family in another part of the borough?
  • Is you current home adapted for a disability but you now have no need for the adaptations?
  • Would you just like a smaller property to live in?

The Transfer Incentive Scheme is available to help those people whose homes are too large for them, move into a new property quickly and effortlessly. We will help you find and bid for a new property using the LOCATA scheme and may also help you on moving day by arranging your removals at no cost.

You will benefit from:

  • help finding and bidding for a new property
  • help arranging and possibly paying for a removals company, including all boxes for packing
  • help you to plan your moving day
  • £1000 for each bedroom you give up when you move to a smaller property. For example moving from four-bed property to a one-bed would give you £3000
  • the money can be used in any way you choose (any money paid to you will have all outstanding rent arrears deducted from it)

Other advantages include:

  • if you have regular family or friends staying over you may be able to find a property with a spare bedroom for them 
  • if you wanted to move out of London we can also help with a seaside and country home move

You can choose the type of accommodation and the area you wish to move to. You can move to any local partner area via LOCATA (Brent, Hammersmith and Fulham, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow) or outside London. 

Moving to a smaller property can reduce your heating bills and time spent on housekeeping. If you have mobility difficulties, you may be able to move to a more suitable ground-floor location such as a flat with a lift or a bungalow. We may also be able to arrange a connection to a community alarm system or help with moving this to your new property.

You are eligible for the scheme if:

  • you are a secure tenant of a two, three or four bedroom property and you would like to move to a smaller property
  • your home requires adaptations and you agree to move to a property more suitable
  • your home has adaptations which you no longer require
  • you undertake a mutual exchange with another tenant of Ealing Council who is registered for a transfer and has priority for overcrowding

A home visit can be arranged to discuss your housing requirements and options available.

For further information, contact the housing initiatives team on (020) 8825 7686.

Overcrowded households

We can look to try and find you an alternative private property to rent. This will be in the borough and near the schools you need. We may also be able to help you if you wish to move to a neighbouring borough if you prefer.

We may be able to help you with a mutual exchange where you swap your current council property directly with another family in a council property.

If any of your children are aged over 18 years old and are unemployed and need help with training in order to gain a work based qualification, they may be eligible for accommodation away from your overcrowded home and into a flat of their own.

If you are living with family members who are over 60 years old we can look to find them their own accommodation. This should help free up some space in your current home. 

If you wish to stay in your current home, we can look to see if we can help you by installing space saving furniture in your home. This can include bunk beds, foldaway desks for study, sofa beds or storage solutions.  We will visit you at your home to see if this is a suitable option.

If you happen to live in a property which you feel may be able to be extended or have a loft room fitted, please let us know.  Also if the property next door to you is vacant please let us know.  We may be able to see if there is any way of using it to help your overcrowding

A home visit can be arranged to discuss your housing requirements and options available.

For more information, contact the housing initiatives team on (020) 8825 7686.