Mental health

Most people with (serious) mental health problems live independently in the community in the same way as people with other long-term heath problems.  They will normally:

  • seek help from their doctor if they are feeling unwell
  • be in touch with a specialist mental health service such as a community psychiatric nurse (CPN), a psychiatrist, psychologist or other health service specialist
  • be supported in the community by a package of care organised by a social services care manager

If you are concerned about your mental health or that of a close relative or friend, your doctor is the primary source of help.  They will have knowledge of the person's history and be able to advise them about treatment or help.  The doctor can refer them to specialist services if it is appropriate and the person agrees.