Mortgage arrears

If you have difficulty meeting your mortgage payments you can get help from the housing advice service. They can:

  • contact your mortgage lender to try and negotiate a solution that is acceptable to all parties
  • help you in court proceedings and provide representation at most county court hearings
  • give you advice if have to leave your home

The majority of mortgage lenders are extremely reluctant to take possession proceedings against homeowners as this is costly and time consuming. Lenders often welcome suggestions to resolve the situation for the benefit of all concerned.

It is important to contact the housing advice service when you realise you may have problems meeting your mortgage payments. It is difficult to help if arrears have built up and you haven't made the effort to negotiate a solution with the mortgage lender.

Pages in Mortgage arrears

  1. You are here: Mortgage arrears
  2. Mortgage pack