Mental health

How to appeal against the order

The patient can appeal against their detention to the hospital managers or the Mental Health Review Tribunal.  Hospital staff have a duty to provide information to the patient in writing of their rights when they are admitted.  The Mental Health Review Tribunal has the power to discharge the order or agree to continued detention.  The nearest relative, as defined by the act, will also be informed in writing of their right to request discharge of the patient.