Stay safe

Anti-social behaviour

Many people’s lives are ruined by the inconsiderate behaviour of others. If other people’s bad behaviour is having an impact on you, there is help at hand and there is action the council and its partners can take.

If you have witnessed a crime taking place, or in an emergency, call the police on 999.

Examples of anti-social behaviour:

  • Noisy neighbours
  • Street drinking
  • Drug users
  • Aggressive behaviour
  • Misuse of fireworks
  • Littering and flytipping
  • Unruly drunken behaviour.

What can be done?

  • People don’t always realise they are causing a nuisance – a quiet word can go a long way
  • The council can take noisy neighbours to court – they can be fined up to £5,000 or have noise equipment removed if warnings are ignored
  • Ealing Council, the police and social landlords can apply for anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs) – that means the person who is causing a nuisance has to behave or they could be arrested if they breach the terms of their ASBO
  • People can be asked to sign up to acceptable behaviour contracts (ABCs) – these are written agreements which set out how someone should behave and are designed to nip the problem in the bud
  • Ealing Homes tenants can be evicted in extreme circumstances
  • Police and Ealing Council can work together to close down premises where it’s suspected class-A drugs are being used or sold
  • Dispersal orders and controlled drinking zones can be introduced by the council and police to move on large rowdy groups or stop street drinkers in problem areas.

Record it and report it

If you are a victim of anti-social behaviour write down as much information as possible about what’s happening and when, and report it.

 If you or any of your neighbours feel that people are behaving inconsiderately, contact the community safety team .