Further information

Useful links

Building control can offer applicants and their agents some professional advice to help to submit a valid Building Regulations application. However, you may need your own independent adviser to help you provide sufficient technical information to gain Building Regulations approval.

The following organisations are nationally recognised bodies and may be able to put you in touch with appropriate professionals or provide technical information.

Planning Portal
The Planning Portal provides information on Building Regulations legislation, approved documents, the approval process, exempt buildings and the Party Wall Act.

Department of Communities and Local Government
The department responsible for regional and local government, fire, housing, creating better communities, planning, building control and the environment.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
The body responsible for enforcing and investigating health and safety on construction sites.

Gas Safe Register
Replacement for CORGI register (since 1 April 2009).

The electrical contracting industry’s independent voluntary body for electrical installation matters throughout the UK. Provides information on the importance of safety and legality, particularly with respect to electrical installations and building regulations.

The Power Service
Part P electrical inspections - act as agents for many Building Control sections. 

The Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme (FENSA)
Registered glazing installation companies can self certify domestic glazing installations to show compliance with the Building Regulations.

National Energy Services (formerly The National Home Energy Rating Scheme NHER)
Provides energy ratings and energy efficiency support, accreditiation and consultancy services.

A nationwide noise and vibration consultancy practice specialising in building acoustics. Offers a complete acoustics service and can provide a full construction package, from planning to final pre-completion testing. A business partner with LABC.

Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
The national organisation representing local authority building control in England and Wales.

London District Surveyors Association (LDSA)
The body representing building control for the London region. The website contains useful information on avoiding common construction problems.

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
A leading source of land, property, construction and related environmental knowledge. It can also provide details of local surveyors to help in the submission of your Building Regulations application.

Association of Building Engineers (ABE)
The professional body for those specialising in the technology of building.

The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
The UK body for architecture and the architectural profession.

The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
A qualifying organisation that promotes and progresses civil engineering.

The Chartered Institution of Building Service Engineers (CIBSE)
Sets the criteria for best practice in building services engineering.

Federation of Master Builders (FMB)
Represents the interests of small and medium sized building firms in the UK. Provides assistance on finding builders.

Building Research Establishment (BRE)
A leading research, consultancy, training, testing and certification organisation.

Environment Agency
The leading public body for protecting and improving the environment in England and Wales.

Association for Environment Conscious Building (AECB)
An organisation that aims to facilitate environmentally responsible practices within building.

Centre for Alternative Technology An organisation concerned with the search for globally sustainable, whole and ecologically sound technologies and ways of life.

Resolution Data Management
Providers of the LABC national portal for the submission of electronic building control applications via submit-a-plan.

Pages in Further information

  1. Further information
  2. You are here: Useful links