Mental health

When a situation appears to require urgent action

If the doctor feels the person needs urgent assessment or treatment from mental health services, they can telephone the duty worker at the local mental health resource centre and arrange an immediate assessment.

For out-of-hours emergencies contact your local mental health resource centre direct.

If the person with a mental health problem is not willing to accept mental health services and is presenting or behaving in such a way as to give serious concern for their mental health, their safety or the safety of others, then the doctor or the nearest relative can ask the duty worker to arrange a Mental Health Act assessment.  The referrer will be asked to provide as much information as possible over the telephone so that doctors and an approved social worker are properly prepared for the assessment.