Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get married at home?

Marriage in a private home is possible only in certain circumstances:

People of the Jewish faith can get married in a private house.

A person who is housebound can marry in their own home or in a hospital. A doctor must be prepared to sign a statement, in prescribed form, that the person is not able to be moved to a place normally registered for at least three months. This statement form, Form 40, can be obtained from your local register office and must be signed no more than 14 days before giving the notice. Notice of marriage must be given in the district/s of residence of both parties. In the case of the housebound person the notice will have to be taken at home. This will incur an additional statutory fee on top of the usual notice fee. The marriage can take place a minimum of 15 days from the date of giving the later notice. The marriage must take place within three months of giving the first notice.

A person who is terminally ill is able to marry in a house or hospital. In these circumstances a doctor must sign a letter confirming that he/she is in medical attendance on the person and the person is terminally ill and not expected to recover. The letter must also state that the person cannot be moved to a place where marriages could normally take place and can fully understand the importance of the marriage ceremony. The marriage can take place once the Registrar General has issued the licence for the marriage. This process can be almost immediate and is often on the same day that the arrangements are made. The marriage must take place within one month of giving the notice. Only one notice is given under these circumstances and it is always given in the district in which the marriage is to take place.

A marriage can take place in a prison or other place of confinement so long as the authorities agree. This agreement must be in the form of a statement, in the prescribed form that must be signed by the Governor not more than 21 days before giving the notice of marriage. The confined person must give a notice to the local registrar. The registrar will be required to visit the place of confinement in order to take the notice and this visit will attract an additional statutory fee. The other party to the marriage will also have to give a notice to the registrar of the district in which they live. The marriage, which can be civil or religious, can take place 15 clear days after the giving of the later notice. The marriage must take place within 3 months of giving the first notice.