Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register a baby born abroad?

In most countries, babies born as British citizens or babies born to serving members of the British Armed Forces can be registered by the appropriate British authorities. However, parents need to request this facility, as there is no automatic notification of the birth, as with children born in the UK. Here is a list of the countries where a birth cannot be registered with the British authorities:

  • Ascension Islands
  • Australia
  • Bermuda
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands.
  • Christmas Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Nevis
  • St.Helena
  • South Africa
  • Turks & Cacos Islands
  • Virgin Islands (UK)
  • Zimbabwe

For further information on registering babies that are born abroad contact:


The Registrar General
General Register Office, Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Birkdale, Southport PR8 2HH
Tel: 01704 569 824