Frequently Asked Questions

Can I change my child's surname?

It is not possible to change a child's surname in their original birth record, although spelling mistakes can be put right by the correction process. However, if a child is to be re-registered to record the natural father's details in the birth record or to show the child as a child of the parents' marriage, we can consider changing the child's surname to the mother's or the father's – or to a combination of the two – as long as both parents agree to the change. There is no charge for authorising a correction or re-registration but if you would like to buy certificates of the corrected or new entry, the usual fees apply.