Frequently Asked Questions

How do I correct an error?

Each entry in a birth register is an historic record of the facts as they were at the time of the birth. If errors are discovered later, the law allows for details to be changed or added. Corrections should be arranged with the register office where the birth was registered – but sometimes your paperwork must be sent to corrections and re-registration Section at the General Registry Office in Southport for authorisation. Wherever possible, applications for corrections should be made by the person who gave the information for the registration. He or she will be asked to provide documentary evidence to prove an error was made at the time of the registration. There is no charge for making alterations to the birth register – but if you would like to buy certificates showing the changes the normal fees apply.